Under the direction of the Director of Accounting and HR, the Assistant Bookkeeper will be responsible for providing support to the Accounting and HR department with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
This position has internal contacts with administrative and programmatic staff and external contact with contract administrators, donors, and vendors, and thus must maintain a professional manner. This position holds access to sensitive Variety information and is expected to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
· Conducts day to day fiscal transactions, ensuring proper recording in all systems
· Manages petty cash
· Assists with the management of Accounts Payables & Accounts Receivables
· Monthly bank reconciliations
· Assists with processing payroll
· Maintains Human Resources records, ensuring systems are in place for obtaining and tracking clearances, trainings, PTO, and driving authorizations
· Posts job openings
· Sends and collects new hire paperwork
· Administrative duties
· Other duties as assigned
1. Attend relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals.
2. Complete special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department as directed by Supervisor
3. Participate in assigned events that may occur after regular business hours and weekends
4. Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
All Staff Competencies:
· Adhere to Variety’s security guidelines and ensure appropriate handling of sensitive information.
· Basic understanding of Variety’s mission, values, programs and services, and strategic plan.
· Knowledge and understanding of the target community needs and demographics.
· Understanding of legal criteria for issues such as confidentiality, child abuse, and mandated reporter requirements.
· Ability to provide nonviolent intervention with a high level of ethical standards of conduct, cultural sensitivity and within appropriate boundaries and limits.
· Ability to effectively use standard office equipment.
· Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
· Ability to operate a computer and use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Office, and customized databases.
· Adheres to all Variety and departmental policies and procedures.
· Attends all Variety in-services as required.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills and effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
Minimum Experience: Experience in bookkeeping desired. Nonprofit preferred. Experience in Excel required, and experience with QuickBooks and payroll processing a plus. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree.