Philadelphia After School Program
Variety’s After School Program builds independence and self-confidence in children and youth with disabilities by engaging them in social, educational enrichment, recreational activities and vocational training for those who need it.
- To provide a wide range of educational and recreational activities and expose children to activities they may not have had the opportunity to experience
- To help students demonstrate educational and social benefits and exhibit positive behavioral changes
- To provide a safe, stable, and supportive environment for students and their families
- To assist students in exceeding appropriate state and local academic achievement standards in reading and math (based on criterion found in each student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
- To improve students’ performance measure of school attendance, classroom performance, and reduced disciplinary referrals
Variety offers several free After School Programs in locations throughout Philadelphia for children with disabilities. Our After School Programs operate from Sept to June, Monday through Friday from 3:00 – 6:00 pm. These programs feature:
- Peer Mentors attend, actively interact with youth and assist site staff with implementing PBL (Project Based Learning)
- Development of Life Skills
- Development of Social Skills: Problem Solving, Team Building, Initiating Conversation, Maintaining Eye Contact, Seeking Help and Asking Questions.
- Pre-vocational training (including job coaching, shadowing and on-going support)
- STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) through IPAD Technology Program
- Culinary lessons teaching the children how to prepare and cook healthy foods. Over the course of eight lessons, students receive instruction in food knowledge, nutritional value and how to prep and cook food
Horace Howard Furness High School: Ages 14-21
1900 South 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148
Abraham Lincoln High School: Ages 14-21
3201 Ryan Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19136
Widener Memorial School: Ages 7-21
1450 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141
Please contact Kiana Berry at (215)735-0803 x 190 or email@example.com with any questions.