Variety’s Overnight Camp program is a fun filled educational experience open to children and young adults ages 7-21 with a developmental and/or physical disability. Our Overnight Camp aim’s to create an atmosphere of warm acceptance and guidance, and encourage participation at whatever level the camper is able.
- Campers are grouped in cabins by gender and age. Campers are grouped in activity teams during the day by age to promote strong peer relationships.
- Teams and Cabins are staffed at 2:1-3:1 ratio, dependent on the needs of group to provide support while encouraging independence. 1:1 support is available for those who require extra assistance for success.
- Focus on improving social skills in a natural play, inclusive and accepting environment by jumping on teachable moments and consistent positive reinforcement.
- Develop independence by meeting the camper at their individual level and engaging and practicing activities of daily living skills.
- Improve self-confidence by trying new activities and expanding on existing skills.
- Enhance quality of life by engaging in adaptable, inclusive programming that promotes teamwork, creativity, fine and gross motor skills, and mental and physical health.
- Activities at Overnight Camp include free swim, Arts and Crafts, Ceramics, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, Dance, Music Therapy, Computers, Greenhouse, Nature and more! Instructional Swim Lessons are also available for an additional cost.
Overnight Camp also offers specialized weeks to enhance learning, skills and community.
- Fine Arts and Imagination Week- for children with a strong interest in fine arts, who would like to expand their fine art skills and experience new mediums. Activities include acrylic and oil painting, sketching and journaling, ceramics, work with oil pastels, chalk, watercolors and mixed media. Cost of this week is $1150.
- Sports and Teamwork Week- for children with a strong interest in sports, who would like to expand their skills and experience new sports. Activities include skill intensives in team sports such as basketball, baseball and soccer, as well as individual sports such as tennis and golf. Cost of this week is $1150.
- Adventure Week- for children and young adults looking to expand their social skills by engaging in activities and trips into the community. Trips include the Adventure Aquarium, Philadelphia Zoo, the Franklin Institute and other local businesses. Cost of this week is $1300.
Our goal is to have each camper leave us, one step closer to independence and with increased self-confidence. Variety prides itself on being one of the only programs in the area capable of providing this experience for campers who need assistance with all levels of personal care, from those who require minimal assistance to those who require feeding tube, catheter care, and those who have seizure disorders and shunts. Variety’s experienced counselors and nursing staff are able to accommodate almost any need.
The cost of most weeks of Overnight Camp is $1000, (unless otherwise listed above) those who require a 1:1 incur an additional cost of $500. Scholarship and Financial Aid is available to those who apply and qualify. Variety will also accept payment plans and offers multi-week discounts.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact our Camp Director at 610-584-4366 ext. 230 or Camp.Director@varietyphila.org