Headquartered in Worcester, Montgomery County, PA Variety – The Children’s Charity of the Delaware Valley is an independent 501(c)3 corporation which is chartered by Variety International. The organization’s mission is to enrich the lives of children and young adults with disabilities through social, educational and vocational programs that nurture independence, self-confidence and prepare them for life. Variety serves children with disabilities throughout the five-county Philadelphia area, southern New Jersey and Delaware.
Variety’s summer programs operate from late June to early August. Nature/Science Activity Coordinator facilitates nature/science-based activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers’ age and abilities and reflect the camp’s commitment to stewardship of the natural environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver a nature and/or science program that is appropriate for the age and ability of the campers and utilizes the camp’s natural environment.
a. Read and understand lesson plans that meet camp outcomes and the abilities of the campers and encompass environmental studies.
b. Implement a variety of age and ability appropriate activities in the above stated environmental areas.
- Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures.
a. Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in the nature/science program area.
a. Maintain the nature or science equipment.
b. Be responsible for observing hazards or enhancements in the natural environment and alerting other appropriate staff.
c. Conduct a daily check of the area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
d. Ensure the security of the nature/science equipment and supplies, including clear inventory and planning for replacement of supplies in a timely manner.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned.
- Deliver programs that adhere to Variety’s required programmatic structure, including adaptions to ensure activities are universally accessible.
- Assist in other duties assigned.
• Desire and ability to work with children with disabilities.
• Training and experience in teaching nature/science to children.
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
• Ability to accept supervision and guidance.
• Ability to display a mature, professional standard.
• Ability to work as part of a team, cooperate with staff and other professionals.
• Ability to place the needs of the campers above their own.
• Enthusiasm, flexibility, patience, adaptability.
• 16 years of age or older
• All applicable PA state clearances